MSA100 Elementary Modern Standard Arabic
This course introduces the student to the basic writing and sound systems of Modern Arabic as well as to the elementary listening, speaking, reading and writing skills. It corresponds roughly to the ACTFL Novice level. These skills are reinforced throughout all levels through interaction activities drawn from every day real life situations.
Arabic is the only language used in class to ensure complete immersion.
On completion of this course the students will be able to:
- learn about and explore the Moroccan ( and Arab) culture, language, customs, and values,
- introduce themselves, greet others and express basic courtesy in standard Arabic,
- Start, respond and resume short conversations,
- talk and write about everyday activies, about themselves, their families and friends,
- write short personal messages, as for greetings and apologies,
- talk about their personal needs, shop for gifts, and read bills and receipts,
- learn the basic vocabulary in order to ask for and give limited instructions and directions,
- have a rudimentary understading of TV bulletin news, newspaper articles, etc.
- the textbooks used are Alif Baa and Al Kitab Part 1 (Units 1-8),
- other materials prepared by IIHEM Arabic faculty.